Monday, July 14, 2008

Day 14 – July 13 (with pictures)








Two weeks have already flown by and there is still so much I want to see!!! I have now logged over 6,400 miles. I bet some of you are thinking “he is crazy” while others are you are thinking “wish I could be with him”!

I started this wonderful Sunday morning with a drive around Flathead Lake. The lake is over 40 miles long and is surrounded by mountains on either side. From there I headed up to Glacier National Park and to the “Highway To The Sun” as it is called. This road goes up and over the mountain and is named Logan’s pass. The pass is not as high (6,644 ft) as many of the others I have already ridden but it does provide some wonderful views of the surrounding mountains. Even at this elevation, there was still plenty of snow remaining. In several places, you could see the streams flowing down the mountain as the snow melt continued. In some places, they had to build bridges in the road to allow the water to run under the road and continue down the mountain. From some of the views as you approach the top of the pass, you can look down and see the river at the bottom and also the road as it winds it way up the mountain side. Unfortunately, some of the road is under construction and is restricted to 1 way traffic. They set up traffic lights to control the flow through this area. It caused quit a back-up but there is only so much they can do when rebuilding a road on the side of the mountain. I also got to see both Mountain Goats and Big Horn Sheep while going through the park.

After Glacier, I continued north with Banff being my next major destination. I made it through Customs into Canada with no problem (passport was ready to go) and continued on. I’m spending the night in a campsite along a river south of Banff and Calgary near Long View. I will continue on to Banff in the morning.

No comments: