The first thing I saw today as I started my ride is many hot air ballons descending into Gunnison (the town nearest to where my camp site was). There had to be more than 20 of them.
As I continued my ride, I saw 2 very different sides to the mountains in Colorado. First I took Hwy 50 and the Hwy 550 which took my through such areas as Ouray, Silverton, and Durango. This side of the mountains is what I believe most people think about when they think Colorado and Rocky Mountains. The mountains are of a more "Rocky" type. The roads though this area were amazing. Unfortunately for you (the readers), I wasn't able to get very many pictures because the roads were running right along the edge of the mountains are there just were not many safe turn-offs for me to use to capture pictures.
As I continued on from Durango to Cortez, Gateway, and eventually to Grand Junction, the mountains are very different. They are very red in color. This side of the mountain is much more dessert like. The area around Gateway was particularly beautiful. The two sides of the mountains I rode are not that far apart (as you can see on the Trip Log photo), but due to the elevation of the mountains the weather and conditions are very different.
Today will be my last day in Colorado. Tomorrow morning I will depart from my KOA camp ground tent site in Grand Junction and head to Utah and the Moab area.

No comments:
Post a Comment