Monday, July 21, 2008

Final Thoughts


First, I want to thank everyone for your thoughts and prayers during this trip. Things went very well and I'm sure this had something to do with it.

Second, I'm glad people enjoyed following along with my daily adventures by reading this blog. I had never done anything like this before and I wasn't sure how well it would work. The feedback I have received is that everyone enjoyed it. The photos, maps of my journey, and comments were appreciated by many. Thanks for reading along. I'm glad I could share this experience with you.

I must say this was a wonderful trip and experience; I have no regrets - only memories (and 400+ photos). I got to see many places that I have never seen before and I really believe there is no better way to see nature and beauty than on a motorcycle where you can take it all in. Unfortunately, the trip had to end a little early and there were still a few places I wanted to see. I don't want the little deer incident to be the defining moment of the trip; there are many other highlights, memories, and experiences that are more important to me.

Here are some of statistics of the trip:
  • Total Mileage: 10,226 - daily average of 465 miles per day.
  • Days Riding: 21
  • Lowest mileage day: 183 (day I hit the deer)
  • Highest mileage day: 716 (last day getting home)
  • I spent about $1,000 on gas and averaged 43 miles per gallon - this was my largest single type of expense
  • Lodging: I spent 3 nights with relatives, 4 nights in hotels, and 13 nights tenting. A total cost of $550
  • States I drove in (9): Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska, and North Dakota
  • Canadian Providences I drove in (2): Alberta and British Columbia
  • National Parks Visited (9): Rocky Mountain, Arches, Natural Bridges (National Monument) Bryce Canyon, Zion, Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, and Banff/Canadian Rockies. Most were covered by the $80 annual pass I purchased. I guess I got my money worth from that!
  • Best road to ride: Beartooth Pass (Wyoming/Montana)
  • Best canyon carving: anything west and north of Denver - can't beat it!
  • Most boring ride: From Calgary through Montana on the trip home
  • Steepest incline/decline: Black Canyon of the Gunnison (16% grade)
  • Best views while riding: Hwy 550 around Ouray, Silverton, and Durango Colorado
  • Most spectacular views: Bryce Canyon
  • Best Mountains: Canadian Rockies from Banff to Jasper. Followed closely by the Grand Tetons.

No comments: