Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 7 - July 6









Today marks the completion of my first week of travel. I have already been on the road for 7 days – the time is flying by! During these 7 days I have logged more than 3,300 miles! I know some of you may think this is crazy, others of you will understand. To me, this is an opportunity of a life time and I want to make all I can out of it. As I travel the different regions and states, there is so much to see and admire. God has created this beautiful land so that we can enjoy it – that is one of my goals on this trip – enjoy as much of it as I can.


Today my journey brought me into the state of Utah. The first stop was Arches National Park. This park has many interesting rock formations that have been caused by the wind and/or rain eroding parts of the land while leaving other formations standing. Of course the park is famous for a number of “Arches” where a hole has been worn through part of the formation leaving the effect of either and arch or a bridge (it is called a bridge if it was caused by flowing water). I was able to take many interesting pictures of these various formations. My next stop was the Natural Bridges National Monument. There was a 9 mile driving tour with viewing points for many natural bridges. The formations here were not as outstanding as the ones in Arches National Park. From here I then continued my trek South and West across Utah (there is no good way to get across southern Utah) and I’m spending the night in Hanksville Utah (feels more like Hicksville to me!). The drive to Hanksville got a little boring. There are plenty of rock formations to see along the way but after a while, I got tied of seeing the same type of thing over and over again.


My next stops are planned to be Bryce Canyon National Park and then Zion National Park in the southwest part of Utah. Hopefully the drive there will be OK. Everyone tells me these are “must see” parks. I hope to find out tomorrow.

1 comment:

Bill H said...

First chance Ive had to look. Great trip Rick so far. I am envious. Good to test your skills on dirt roads. 3300 miles in a week! At that rate you can make California, then Alaska! Fun to see many of the same places I hit recently. Keep up the good riding. We leave this weekend.